Two years ago my daughters decided they wanted to do something to help people in our community who are homeless. We set up a fundraiser whereby people donated to Homestretch, a wonderful organization here in Fairfax County, and in exchange folks received various thank you gifts from Caroline and Margaret. We raised close to $1,000 for Homestretch, thanks to the girls' hard work and your generosity. In fact, I met with staff of Homestretch recently, and they specifically remembered the little girls who gave their time and talent to help people who are transitioning from homelessness to a more stable life.
After a hiatus from this project last year, the girls want to do it again. Caroline and Margaret will be putting together another collection of holiday music, but rather than CDs we're going completely digital this year. Everyone who gives (regardless of amount) will receive a link for downloading the songs to iTunes or other mp3 system. We've got a lot more instruments in the mix this year---voice and piano, but also cello, guitar, recorder, maybe even ukelele. Caroline has also gotten a little more experience with GarageBand, so who knows what they'll come up with!
Here's how it works:
1. Make a donation of any amount to one of the organizations listed below.
2. Email me at maryannmcdana (at) gmail (dot) com and let me know of your donation, preferably with a screen shot of the donation page.
3. Once the album is finished, we will email you the link for download. We hope to complete it by December 22, so you'll have time to put it in your holiday rotation! If you give $50 or more, we will also send the link to a friend of your choosing as a gift from you, dressed up in a nice festive email describing your gift.
Here are the organizations. Two to choose from!
- Homestretch, Inc. -- serving people in Northern Virginia
- Love Wins Ministries -- Love Wins is actually based in Raleigh, but I've gotten to know the pastor and director, Hugh Hollowell, via social media. Love Wins operates on grace and a shoestring, and does amazing work both with advocacy and as a ministry of presence. The girls wanted to add Love Wins after I told them about David, Ashley, and Baby Liberty. Liberty is due to be born very soon after Ashley's water broke at 30 weeks. They have a long list of needs---please give what you can to Love Wins or to help this struggling family.
Thank you in advance for your generosity and for helping Caroline and Margaret make a difference.