Prompt: Beautifully different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful. I felt a thud in my gut when I read this one. Here they've been going along with relatively safe questions, and then bam! I guess I've internalized that weird Calvinist modesty thing more than I realize. How is the answer to this not just bragging? But I know it's not. We all have gifts, and it's good to know what those are.
I do wonder if they will get fewer takers on this one. Here's a good one. I almost decided to pass, but I'm obsessive enough that it would bug me to have a hole on the 8th day.
So here are a few things. These aren't necessarily the biggest things but they're on my mind at the moment:
1. Eleven months ago, a person mentioned something to me in passing that gave me a great idea for a Christmas gift for him. I made note of in a tickler file in Things. It popped up on my list yesterday and I ordered it. This person is going to get a HUGE kick out of this, and it's all thanks to my anal-retentive tendencies. Woohoo!
2. I have a way with words. And I was born to preach. (There, I said it... though others said it first.)
3. I remember what my AP English teacher wrote in my yearbook: "It is rare to meet a student who loves this class as much as I do." There were other students who were stronger academically, but I adored that class. I fall head-over-heels for books, ideas, activities. That enthusiasm rubs off on other people.
4. Making connections: I think I am good at relating things to one another in unconventional ways. Last week I preached on Wall-E as the quintessential Advent movie.
5. I have a good memory for names and numbers. Remembering people's names makes them feel special and loved. Remembering numbers mainly just entertains Robert, who is always agog that I remember my first cell phone number or the address I've looked up exactly once.
But enough about me... what makes YOU beautifully different?