The traffic outside was frightful thanks to snow that hit at just the wrong time... Schools were open but it was treacherous for buses, walkers and drivers alike. So I opted to keep the kids home, but not before baking some "sorry you have to go to school" muffins.
Here they are. Adapted from The Ultimate Muffin Book by Weinstein and Scarbrough
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used pecans) 1 stick butter, melted and cooled 2 tablespoon brown sugar 1 tablespoon maple syrup 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 3/4 teaspoon salt 2 large eggs 2 cups all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat) 2/3 cup granulated sugar 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 cup buttermilk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (which I just realized I forgot. Oh well)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups.
- Make the filling: Combine nuts, 3 tablespoons of the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and remaining salt.
- In a separate bowl combine remaining butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Fold wet ingredients into dry.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter; level off the batter. Place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center of each muffin cup; top off with the remaining batter.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy.