OK, I just came up with that name, but these muffins have chopped pecans and almond extract instead of vanilla, so there you go. And it is indeed a nutty weekend, full of ups and down. Ups include a birthday party for Caroline and for Mom, and a 10K yesterday (on my fourth "runiversary") in which I bested my previous record by 2 minutes. Downs include our almost 20 year old kitty who is not doing well. She's getting lot of love today as we prepare to say goodbye this evening.
It was nice to have some comfort food for a sad day.
These are adapted from the Ultimate Muffin Book.
NUTTY WEEKENDER MUFFINS
This made 12 regular muffins plus about 9 mini muffins, or about 16 regular muffins.
1 cup whole wheat flour 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour 1/4 cup plus 2 T sugar 1 T baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup chopped pecans 2 large eggs 1 1/4 cups milk 6 T butter, melted and cooled 1 teaspoon almond extract turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare muffin tins with cooking spray or baking cups.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and chopped pecans in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, butter, milk, and almond extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle each with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes (mini muffins) or 15-18 (regular).