Note: The Healthy Holiday Streak begins today! Here's the first reflection to get people started. All future posts will be sent to the email list only. Not too late to join! Register for the streak here.
We’re so excited you’re joining us on this adventure! Many of our daily reflections will be short and sweet, but today’s is a little more in-depth to help ensure you get off to a good start.
First thing is for you to define your streak. What makes a good goal, you ask?
- It’s small. Remember, this is something you will strive for every day. Don’t set yourself up for failure by picking something unrealistic.
- It’s within your control. Focus on things that you have the power to achieve. For example, instead of “get eight hours of sleep each night,” decide you’ll turn off the screens and unwind at a certain time each evening.
- It connects with a deeper sense of purpose or well-being. This is not a time for “should” or conforming to others’ expectations. What will help YOU embrace this season with a sense of well-being and joy?
- It needs a day off… or it doesn’t. Some of us are abstainers--we need to go all in on a habit, and if we “cheat a little,” we’ll fall off the wagon completely. Others of us are moderators--if we don’t give ourselves a little wiggle room, we’ll start to resent our goal*. Decide if you intend to follow through every day, or if you’ll do better with one streak-free day each week--and which one it will be.
Now, the good stuff!
Suggested Focus Areas for Goals
- Exercise/Movement Each Day (how about dancing?)
- Saying No and Letting Go
- Meditation and Gratitude
- Play and Recreation
- Participation in Art and Beauty
- Healthy Online Habits
- Connecting with Loved Ones
Last Step: Accountability!
Here’s the bad news. When people set goals for themselves, there’s a pretty small chance they’ll follow through. Like, a 6-8% chance.
But guess what? The chance increases to 30% when you write the goal down. (So go do that!)
AND it increases to 60% when you tell someone about it**. So grab a friend and streak together. And head to our Facebook event and share what your streak will be. We can’t wait to cheer you on.
And we’ll be streaking too: Melissa’s streak will be focused on sleep--she is committing to a specific lights-out time each night, as well as a devices-off time 60 minutes before lights-out. MaryAnn will be choosing a different practice each week--this week, it’s a brief gratitude list at the end of each day. Each Monday we’ll report how our own streaks are going--including our stumbles--so we can all get recommitted for another week of streaking.
The next few days will be preparation for the streak, with the official streak starting on Thanksgiving (or the day after, your choice). But if you’re ready to start today, please do!
Today’s Question: Given today’s guidance, what will your streak be?
Until tomorrow! MaryAnn McKibben Dana and Melissa Kennedy
Statistics on goal-setting are from the book Goal Setting: a Motivational Technique that Works by Edwin Locke and Gary Latham.